Saturday, October 6, 2012

Welcome to my blog. I will use this site to discuss daily life around the farm. I am new to blogging so bare with me here. First let me introduce myself and my family. My name is Vickie Palmer, I am 44 years old, I live on a 10 acre farm with Donna Barnhill and 10 horses, 5 cats, and 3 dogs. I am living my dream! I own and operate a trail riding business in Georgetown, KY called Easy Riders Ranch, LLC. I get to get up everyday and go outside to play with horses. I have been in business for 12 years, the last 5 1/2 here in Georgetown.


October 6, 2012: My head hurts as I almost knocked myself out yesterday trying to disconnect the horse trailer from the truck. I busted my head on the hitch, ouch! I tend to get myself hurt about once every 3 months or so. I have to wear a hat when I fish so I don't hook myself in the head!

The weather has taken a turn for the cold. It's about 50 degrees but sunny. It's supposed to be in the upper 20's for the overnight low Sunday night. Brr! Time to get the water heaters out I suppose. I hate the cold, dreary wintertime. It depresses me. I love the green grass, leaves on the trees, beautiful flowers of spring.
The horses, on the other hand, love the cooler weather. They are more frisky this time of year.

Got the barn filled with hay yesterday - 200 bales of alfalfa. This should last until December, hopefully. A bale of hay costs $6 and weighs about 70 lbs. I feed 3 bales per day; morning, afternoon, and evening. I have had to feed hay all year because of the drought this summer. There is no pasture :(

Went the the Scott County Reservoir yesterday with Kim the trainer. We took the new horse, Traveler, for his first trail ride. He did great overall, just had a little bit of issue with crossing creeks at first. By the time we left he was going right through the creek with no problem. Kim does a great job with him - they seem to click with each other. I am not getting attached to Traveler because I know he has to be sold in the near future.

Today should be fun, the Festival of the Horse is going on in downtown Georgetown this weekend. The parade is tonight. I say every year that I am going to ride in the parade but never do. It just doesn't work out for me. We will go down to watch it though. Hopefully, my head will feel better by then so I can stand the crowds/noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment